Table of Contents
- Show Account Numbers
- Show Vendor Id in Vendor Dropdown
- Use Departments
- Use Locations
- Use Classes
- Use Jobs
- Show Company Name in Customer Dropdown
- Use Dimensions in Payables
- Use Customers/ Jobs in Payables
- Use Items in Payables
- Vendor/ Customer Sequence Id
- Show Chart of Accounts on Bill and Invoice Items
- Show GL Posting Date on Bills and Invoices
When configuring a new Bill.com account, it is important to define the Accounting Preferences so that you may select the appropriate classifications and ensure that the sync functions properly. To review your Accounting Preferences in Bill.com, go to Gear Icon > Settings > Preferences under Accounting.
NOTE: The below screenshot shows the Accounting Preferences for an account integrated with Sage Intacct. Additionally, this articles details all potential Accounting Preferences across accounting softwares. Your Accounting Preferences may differ based on your specific accounting software. Do not enable a classification that you are not using.
Find an explanation for each accounting preference below.
Show Account Numbers
- Allows the account number associated with a GL account to be shown when entering bill details. Enable this preference if there are account numbers assigned to the Chart of Accounts in your accounting software.
Show Vendor Id in Vendor Dropdown
- If enabled, this preference allows both the vendor name and vendor Id to be shown when creating a new bill.
- An accounting classification used to specify groups or divisions within a company, such as Marketing, HQ, or Asia-Pacific.
- NOTE: Classes in QuickBooks for Windows and QuickBooks Enterprise are referred to as Departments in Bill.com. If using Classes in QuickBooks for Windows or QuickBooks Enterprise, select Yes for Use Departments in Bill.com.
- An accounting classification used to specify geographical groupings, such as Midwest, Main Office, or Downtown.
- Categories unique to your company or business, which you define to help with reporting.
- NOTE: Classes in QuickBooks for Windows and QuickBooks Enterprise are referred to as Departments in Bill.com. If using Classes in QuickBooks for Windows or QuickBooks Enterprise, please select Yes for Use Departments in Bill.com.
- Projects with their own set of income or expenses.
- NOTE: Jobs are currently not supported with the Xero integration. Jobs are referred to as Projects in Sage Intacct and Oracle NetSuite.
Show Company Name in Customer Dropdown
- If the Customer Name and Company Name differ, this preference allows both to be shown when creating a bill or invoice.
Use Dimensions in Payables
The below preferences are specific to Sage Intacct integrations:
- Use Vendors: If enabled, vendor information will sync to both the top level and line item level of bills in Sage Intacct. This allows for greater reporting capabilities within Sage Intacct.
- Use Customers: Associate expenses with customers who you sell products or services and/or projects for those customers.
- Use Employees: Associate expenses to employees at your business or company.
- Use Items: Code bill line items to specific products and services.
Use Customers / Jobs in Payables
- Associate expenses with customers who you sell products or services and/or projects for those customers.
Use Items in Payables
- Code bill line items to specific products and services.
Vendor/ Customer Sequence Id
- Select "Use auto-numbering" if you have enabled auto-numbering for vendor Ids in your accounting software. Otherwise, select "Enter Id manually" to manually enter the Ids for new vendors.
Show Chart of Accounts on Bill and Invoice Items
- Enter a GL account in addition to items when creating bills or invoices.
Show GL Posting Date on Bills and Invoices
- For Sage Intacct and Oracle NetSuite integrations, specify the GL Posting Date to be used by your accounting software
- This preference is not available for QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks for Windows or Xero