This article provides reasons ePayments fail and how to resolve them.
If an ePayment fails, an email will be sent to inform all users with payment permissions; the email will contain a return code from the vendor's bank, giving the exact reason for the failure. The most common reasons are:
- The account number and/or routing number is incorrect
- The name on the bank account doesn't match the vendor name in Bill.com.
See a list of the most common return codes here: Invalid Bank Account
The reason code can also be found in the audit trail of the vendor's bank information.
- Hover over Payables and click Vendors
- Click the vendor's name
- Hover over "Vendor Details" and click "ePayment Info."
- Click the bank account number
- Hover over Details and click "Audit Trail."
Vendor bank account information was entered manually
- If the ePayment failed because the name in Bill.com didn't match the name on the bank account, correct the vendor name or pay to name on the vendor record, void and reissue the payment.
- If the account number and/or routing number was incorrect, confirm the bank information with the vendor. Correct the vendor bank account information, void and reissue the payment.
- If the ePayment failed for another reason (account closed, unable to locate account, etc.), contact the vendor directly; the vendor may need to contact their bank's ACH department for more information.
Vendor was sent an invite to receive ePayments
- Contact the vendor directly. Since the vendor set up a free Receivables account to get paid, the vendor controls their own remittance information, and will need to make all changes in their account.
- If the ePayment failed for another reason (account closed, unable to locate account, etc.) the vendor may need to contact their bank's ACH department for more information.