- Pre setup requirements
- Install sync dashboard
- Connect the sync
- Bill.com sync preferences
- Accounting preferences
Pre setup requirements
- Ensure anyone with shared access to the QuickBooks file to be synced is logged out
- QuickBooks needs to be in single-user mode
- Click File, if Switch to Multi-user Mode is available, the file is already in single-user mode.
- Exit QuickBooks
- QuickBooks Admin login credentials - this is required to connect the sync
- Bill.com user in Administrator, Accountant or custom role with Sync permission
- Administrator rights to install programs to computer or server
Install sync dashboard
The sync dashboard needs to be downloaded and installed in the same location/drive as the QuickBooks program in order to facilitate the sync between Bill.com and QuickBooks for Windows.
The QuickBooks company file does not need to be located in the same location in order to sync.
Note: The sync dashboard requires Microsoft .NET framework 4.6 to run properly.
QuickBooks program installed on local computer
- Download the Bill.com Sync Dashboard (~917 KB)
- Click Next
- Select the drive that the QuickBooks program is installed on
- Click Install
- Click Next to confirm installation completion
- A shortcut will be created on your desktop
QuickBooks program installed on Server or Hosted Server
Provide the following article to your I.T. administrator or hosting provider administrator so that the sync dashboard can be installed on your behalf: QuickBooks for Windows - Server or Hosting Provider sync dashboard installation
Connect the sync
- Open the Bill.com sync dashboard from the shortcut added to the desktop
- Open QuickBooks and log in to the company file as Admin and in single user mode
- In the profile editor box, click Next
- Sync dashboard will auto detect the file path of the QuickBooks company file that is open, click Next
- In QuickBooks, on the Application Certificate, select Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks isn't running
- If there are multiple users on the company file, next to Login as: select Admin
- Click Continue
- Click Done to confirm access
- Enter Bill.com login credentials or sync token
- If using a Bill.com powered solution through a bank/financial institution, the sync token will be required to connect the sync.
- For more information on setting up a sync token, click here
- Select the Bill.com Organization name to sync to
- In the sync profiles box, select the profile to sync
- Click Sync
The sync is now connected.
The sync brings everything you need for payables and/or receivables from QuickBooks into Bill.com: accounts, vendors, customers, items, departments (classes), jobs (customer: jobs), and your book balance.
The first sync might take a while, depending on the size of the QuickBooks company file. Future syncs will be much faster, and QuickBooks company file will not need to be open.
Bill.com sync preferences
After the first sync completes, we will direct you to fill our sync preferences. Learn more about sync preferences here.
- In the One last thing box, click Ok
- On the sync preferences page, select the QuickBooks accounts to use (we filled the list with your QuickBooks Chart of Accounts when you synced) for the following settings:
- Accounts Payable
- Unallocated Expenses
- Default bank account in accounting software
- GL accounts for any bank accounts already added to Bill.com
- Click Save
The sync setup is now complete.
To set additional preferences for reporting and tracking:
- Hover over the gear icon, click Settings
- Under Accounting, click Preferences
- Click Edit
- Set preferences
- Classes in QuickBooks are called Departments in Bill.com
- Locations do not sync with QuickBooks for Windows
- Click Save
Learn more about accounting preferences here.
- Sync dashboard requires .NET Framework 4.6
- Accounting Classifications - Add/Remove
- Understanding Bill.com sync preferences
- Understanding Bill.com Clearing Accounts