To access an audit trail:
- Open the item that you wish to review
- Hover over Details (be it Bill Details, Invoice Details, or just Details)
- Click Audit Trail
Audit trails are broken into columns as follows:
- When: The date stamp of when the change occurred
- Who: the user or action that caused the change
- Type: what kind of action it was
- What: the item that was updated
- Field: the actual field that was updated
- Old value: what was listed
- New Value: what is now listed
The audit trail is normally listed by most recent action first. You can find the first action in the audit trail by locating the Create line. This is when the item was created.
Commonly found in the WHO column:
- The user name who performed the action in question.
- Username-Sync : Changes on this line were performed by a sync, meaning changes originated in the accounting software and synced to Bill.com.
- Username-API : Action was performed through an API function or though the mobile app
- System: Action was performed by the system due to an auto function being enabled, or a related action happened. An example of a related action would be when payments are created, a bill or invoice’s audit trail will show the System updating the transaction to paid from unpaid.
Commonly found in the TYPE column:
- Create: when the item was created
- Edit: an item was updated